Monday, January 27, 2014

Study Snack: Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake Muffins

Stop what you are doing and make these, whether you need a study snack or something sweet to go with your coffee.  These were a great late night sweet treat (I may or may not have eaten 4) and they were even better with my coffee the next morning after they had sat all night (I pounded another three...whoops). 

I was searching for a recipe on Pinterest involving apples because that was basically the only baking material we had around the house last week.  I found this recipe from Our Best Bites and tweaked it a bit.  Halfway through combining the ingredients, I realized that I didn't have any sour cream (...oops) so I substituted 1 cup of sour cream with 1 cup of Greek yogurt and 1 teaspoon of baking soda.  Fewer calories and no trip to the store was needed.  Win win.



Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake Muffins, recipe originally by Our Best Bites
Makes: 24 muffins
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:
1 box of yellow cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
1/2 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup Greek yogurt (I used plain though I think vanilla would have been delicious!)
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 medium apples, peel and chopped (I used Fuji only because it was what we had)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons of flour

Topping:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter, softened

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line your muffin pans with liners.

Combine the cake mix, cinnamon, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.  Then add the oil, eggs, Greek yogurt, vanilla, and lemon juice. Mix on low for 30 seconds so that the ingredients blend together, and then high for 3 minutes.

Fold in the peeled and chopped apples.  Scoop into the 24 liners.

Whisk together the sugar, flour, and cinnamon for the muffin topping.  Then add the butter. Whisk until the mixture becomes crumbly (you may need to break apart some large clumps) and sprinkle that deliciousness onto your unbaked coffee cakes.

Pop those babies into the oven for 20-25 minutes (20 worked best for my oven) until the muffin tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean. 

Let them cool on a wire rack or eat them straight from the muffin pan.  Whatever your little heart desires. 

These CAN be eaten in bulk without getting a tummy ache.  You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment