Thursday, January 16, 2014

If you build it, he will come

This week started with the anniversary of my father's passing and finished with my first day of grad school.  I spent a lot of time last week thinking about what I would do on this day.  I mulled over sleeping away the entire thing, going to work to distract myself, or making a ton of pastries and watching Harry Potter all day.  Finally, I decided to take a day away from planning, organizing, working, and strategizing and really celebrate the good times and some of my favorite memories with my father.

Displaying photo.JPGFirst stop, donuts and coffee.  My dad and I would always go to Dunkin Donuts after church on Sundays.  As I got older, this turned into Starbucks and was accompanied by my latest paper or a tutor session, but donuts and coffee was always involved.  Though he always let me pick, my dad swore by Dunkin Donuts coffee over Starbucks.  Clearly, he had never tasted a Gingerbread Latte.

Then I went to Great Falls Park in McLean.  My dad loved being in nature.  When I say nature, I don't mean the sands and the ocean.  I mean the mountains, the woods, and any other place where it is uncommon to find indoor plumbing or electricity.  Growing up I was never really a fan.  My dad always called me a city girl and made jokes about not being able to go anywhere without my hair dryer or cell phone.  But as I've gotten older, I've really started to enjoy being outside and appreciating the natural beauty in the world.  Even though it was a little chilly and I may or may not be recovering from mono, I really did feel close to him out there on the rocks and near the water.

Finally, I watched Field of Dreams, one of my dad's favorite movies.  Seriously, the man had a shirt that said "If you build it, he will come."  Call it a cheesy 80s flick but I think we can all agree there is something magical about baseball and the way it is portrayed in this movie.  Whether you lost a parent or not, that last scene makes you tear up and get all warm and fuzzy inside (don't deny it!).  I think this movie reminded my dad of his father and that is why he loved it so much.  I love to think that they are "having a catch" up in heaven right now.

It's not a secret that I was ready to move on from this year, but I am glad I got to spend a day celebrating and appreciating the life my father led.  I know I went back to school this week with an angel by my side, like I've had all year.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. I think it's wonderful that you took the day and turned it into an opportunity to enjoy and celebrate his life and the things he loved. Even though I never met him, I'm positive he was happy you didn't sleep it away or just bake and watch Harry Potter (even though I'm sure that's a fun second choice). He's most certainly watching you from above but was with you on that day.

    Hugs and hugs! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina! I definitely think it was the best way to spend that time. I'll save the baking and Harry Potter for another day :)

      Delete