Sunday, January 5, 2014

2013 Wrap Up


I’ve been struggling to come up with a good first post.  Lucky for me, the timing of starting this blog worked out perfectly with the start of 2014!  So here is my 2013 wrap-up:

1. Graduated college: Okay, so this was actually December, 2012.  But it happened so fast that it was basically 2013.  But I did it! Done!  The day I thought would never come actually happened.  I loved my time at JMU but was definitely to move forward come graduation day!
 
2.  Move back home: Just throwing this out there up front, I live at home in my childhood bedroom.  As excited as I am to one day move out to my own place, as an early twenties gal, I know I’m never going to get to live like this again.  It’s a crazy ride but I am happy to be at home with my family.  However, cleaning my room is constantly popping up on my to-do list so hopefully by my 2014 wrap-up I’ll have figured out how to fit everything I own into one room at last (any suggestions?).
 
3. Big girl job: Check!  Interesting fact-- #1-#3 all happened within 48 hours.  What a whirlwind!  I just passed my 1 year anniversary of life in the real world.  Though not anywhere close to being an expert and tomorrow I’ll probably want to take back this statement, II can safely say I’ve got my feet on the ground as of today.
 
4. Bought a new car: Wasn’t expecting this one.  Everything hybrid about my beloved Honda Civic died in early January.  I was heartbroken.  It took me a full 12 hours to recover and pick out my new baby.  Luckily I got hooked up with a great post-grad program and bought myself, wait for it…another Honda Civic!  Out with the old and in with the new.
 
5. Got my first credit card(s):  To those of you who have been earning credit for years, kudos to you!
 
6. Took the GRE: This was the last thing on my mind when I walked across that stage in December.  Grad school? Me? Heck no!  I’m still not entirely sure why I decided to take this step whether it was to go with the recent college grad flow or a desire to continue to learn.  Either way, I’m glad it happened.  I studied in bits and pieces all summer until taking the test in October.  So happy to say this is done and (spoiler alert) it paid off!
 
7. Went to HAWAII: Literally the day after taking the GRE I hopped on a plane with my mom, brother, sister, pregnant sister-in-law, 4-year-old-niece, 3-year-old nephew, 1-year-old niece and went to Hawaii to visit my other brother!  This was my first time to Hawaii and our first family vacation in over 10 years!  Such an amazing experience!
 
8. Got accepted to grad school: I did it!  In November, 2013, I received my acceptance letter to Marymount University’s MBA Program.  I am excited to start this month!  Call me a cliché but I’m even more excited about buying school supplies again.
 
9. Ran my first 10k:  Now this took some training and focus.  I’ve been struggling since high school to convince myself that I love to run.  I’ve run a couple 5ks and have done what was needed to stay in shape and eat those beautiful desserts, but never really found joy in gasping for air and not being able to walk.  I signed up for a Thanksgiving race thinking in theory, this was a terrific idea.  What better way to start the biggest food day of the year than with a run??  Wrong.  I forgot how cold November could be.  But anyways, I downloaded a 10k training ap, got some new kicks and some fancy running clothes, made some sweet playlists, and hit the pavement.  My goal was to finish in under an hour and I made it in 59:52 despite the 25 degree weather. Win.  I’ve already signed up for another 10k and I can’t wait!
 
10. Made it through the first year:  For those of you who don’t know me all that well (yet!), this year I lost my father.  It has definitely been a challenging one.  I would not have been able to do everything you’ve just read without him and I still continue to learn so much from him every day.

I think it’s safe to say this has been a big year!  I’m happy and sad to put it behind me but so excited to move forward and see what 2014 has to offer!  

No comments:

Post a Comment